Monday, February 28, 2011

Because I need one more procrastination method

I'm supposed to be working on research and entering data right now, but I'd rather start a blog.

Hi.  I'm married to a police officer.  He wasn't a police officer when we met and got married and had babies, but he sure is one now.  I wasn't getting a Ph.D. when we met and got married and had babies, but I sure am now.  This makes our life incredibly...something.  hectic? separate? fulfilling? It depends on the day.

The idea of the Lion and the Lioness really resonates with us as a metaphor for our lives right now.  The Lion patrols the savannah keeping an eye out for predators and interlopers while the Lioness stays with the cubs and protects them from predators and interlopers that may have gotten past the Lion.  She gets the food and calls for the Lion to let him know it's ready.  She's pretty independent and only calls out for him in times of extreme distress...because he has a job to do.  He has to keep his territory safe and if he's always running back to the Lioness and the cubs, he can't do that.  It's a double-edge sword, this life, but it's ours.  Fortunately, there is a wide and mighty sisterhood for support.  Lionesses band together, much like wives of police officers.  We're there for each other when our husbands can't be.

As a matter of fact, five of us are getting together to run a marathon relay at the beginning of May.  Here's the kicker: I'm not a runner.  I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the PW blog world. :) I hope you also post about your prepping for the marathon relay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome welcome! Glad to have you join us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't marry a cop either, but here we are! I like your analogy about the lions and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete